This action alert is over.
Phony-Baloney Senate GMO Labeling Sell-out in the Works
This Wednesday afternoon, the U.S. Senate is set to vote on a horrible compromise bill on GMO food labeling. The bill is a gift to Monsanto and the biotech industry. Please contact your Senators ASAP (find your senators here) and ask them to reject the Stabenow-Roberts compromise. The compromise bill would:
- Take away the rights of states to label GMO foods and seeds.
- Allow the USDA two years to come up with a federal labeling system that will rely on bar codes and smartphones for finding information (nothing on the package label about GMO content), something that will deny up to 100 million Americans access to the information and even then potentially route you to company websites to play hide and seek and search for ingredient information.
- Not cover most GMO foods, according to a critical FDA analysis.
- Establish no enforcement mechanism, or penalties for violations, for non-compliance with the law.
- Prohibit the Secretary of Agriculture from labeling as GMOs any food product derived from animals eating GMO feed.