The Cornucopia Institute is seeking candidates for its full-time Communications Manager position to support all aspects of the organization’s communications needs. This is a mid-level position responsible for enhancing the organization’s visibility and communicating its mission and impact to the public. Duties include implementing the organization’s communications and marketing strategies across all media (print, web, email, social media, direct marketing channels, and emerging technologies) to reach Cornucopia’s external audiences.
This is a full-time, remote position of 40 hours per week, generally during normal business hours, Monday through Friday. The ideal candidate must be a willing collaborator with a positive attitude who is diligent, patient, and flexible. Must also be a conceptual and strategic thinker with excellent writing skills, who thrives in a highly collaborative and fast-paced environment.
The Communications Manager will work closely with the Deputy Director and other members of the leadership team to execute, evaluate, and refine the communications strategy.
Reports to: Deputy Director Michele Marchetti
Start date: ASAP
Salary/benefits: The range for this role is $57-60K depending on experience, plus a medical reimbursement plan, paid vacation, and holidays.
Applications: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, two writing samples, and a summary of two communications projects they have overseen to [email protected].
About Cornucopia: Formed in 2004, The Cornucopia Institute is a nonprofit organic watchdog and go-to source of information for consumers seeking to support authentic organic food and farmers. Cornucopia produces communication tools that help demystify the organic marketplace for consumers and scrutinize industry and regulation on behalf of a more just food system. The Cornucopia Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
- Develop an understanding of Cornucopia’s mission, objectives, strategies, and trends that impact our work
- Identify and track measurements for communication activities and routinely analyze communication performance. Work with our web marketing agency to monitor SEO and Google Analytics
- Leverage a demonstrated knowledge of communications industry trends and best practices to continuously learn new and innovative strategies and tactics
Writing and Content Creation
- Act as the managing editor of The Cultivator, Cornucopia’s print newsletter (sent to approximately 10,000 households quarterly). This includes working with the printer; keeping the printer and staff on track for meeting deadlines; assigning, writing, and editing articles; overseeing all design elements including photos and illustrations; and designing the newsletter using Adobe Creative Suite (e.g., InDesign, Photoshop)
- Write and edit articles for various communications channels and coordinate the biweekly eNews, sent via MailChimp to 60,000+ subscribers
- Work with Director of Advocacy and Development to design fundraising materials
- Work with Cornucopia’s social media contractor to maintain our presence on social media
Design and Branding
- Understand, translate, and implement Cornucopia’s voice, brand, and style guidelines
- Design and publish various print marketing materials (mailings, brochures, development materials, newsletters, annual report, signage, etc.), sometimes using outside print and design vendors
- Assist in web page audit, design, maintenance, and content management in collaboration with external web vendor
- Develop and improve other areas of communications (e.g., photography and videography) for capturing images that help tell the story of Cornucopia’s work
- Work with the Deputy Director to improve Cornucopia’s media presence
- Write press releases and manage media outreach through Cision and PR Newswire
- Track news clippings and forward reports monthly to leadership team
- Continuously update media list and seek new influencers for distribution of content
Skills & Experience
- Passion for organic food and farming
- Background in food systems and conversant on issues affecting the organic farming and/or the good food movement
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent work experience in communications, at least 3-5 years of professional communications experience creating visually engaging, impactful content
- High degree of flexibility, a collaborative spirit, and willingness to learn from others
- Ability to prioritize and balance multiple projects on time and with a high-level of attention to detail
- Conceptual, creative thinker with excellent storytelling, writing, and interviewing skills
- Strong organizational and time management abilities and track record of consistently meeting deadlines
- Ability to work independently and remotely
- Experience working with the media
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign. Experience with Photoshop is a plus
- Experience posting on and maintaining social media platforms
- Experience using MailChimp, WordPress and Airtable
Please note this job description does not cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change as the position and organization grow and evolve.