Cornucopia’s Take: The Cornucopia Institute believes that the organic community is best served by a transparent selection process for new members of the National Organic Standards Board. This allows all stakeholders to constructively weigh in on potential appointees to the Board. At one time, the names and backgrounds of all nominees were made public during the selection process. We have consistently asked past USDA Secretaries to reinstitute this process, and we will again do so. Transparency, a key element of organics, would help ensure that the best and most qualified individuals are the focus of the final appointment process.
Call for Nominations to Serve on NOSB
The National Organic Standards Board (NOSB) is a Federal Advisory Committee that provides advice and recommendations to the Department of Agriculture on the implementation of the Organic Foods Production Act. NOSB members are volunteers and come from across the organic community. Each member is appointed by the Department of Agriculture to a five-year term.
USDA seeks nominations to fill one vacancy for an individual with expertise in areas of environmental protection and resource conservation to serve on the NOSB from January 2018 to January 2023. The USDA is also seeking nominations for a pool of candidates to fill future unexpected vacancies in any of the seven position categories, should unexpected vacancies occur. A person appointed to fill an unexpected vacancy will serve for the remainder of the 5-year term of the vacant position.
Committee member duties include:
- Attending committee meetings (travel paid by USDA)
- Participating in bi-monthly subcommittee conference calls
- Reviewing materials and/or recommending changes to the National List of Allowed and Prohibited Substances
- Advising the Secretary on other aspects of the USDA organic regulations
Written nominations must include a resume, an AD-755 Application Form, and a cover letter (optional), and must be postmarked on or before August 7, 2017.
- Call for Nominations Flyer (PDF)
- Press Release: USDA Seeks Nominations for the National Organic Standards Board
- Federal Register Notice: Call for Nominations (Includes Application Instructions)
- Advisory Committee Background Information (Form AD-755) (PDF)
- NOSB Recommendation on Criteria for NOSB Membership (PDF)
For more information, visit the NOSB Nominations Webpage.