This action alert is over.
Phony-Baloney Senate GMO Labeling Sell-out in the Works
This Wednesday afternoon, the U.S. Senate is set to vote on a horrible compromise bill on GMO food labeling. The bill is a gift to Monsanto and the biotech industry. Please contact your Senators ASAP (find your senators here) and ask them to reject the Stabenow-Roberts compromise. The compromise bill would:
- Take away the rights of states to label GMO foods and seeds.
- Allow the USDA two years to come up with a federal labeling system that will rely on bar codes and smartphones for finding information (nothing on the package label about GMO content), something that will deny up to 100 million Americans access to the information and even then potentially route you to company websites to play hide and seek and search for ingredient information.
- Not cover most GMO foods, according to a critical FDA analysis.
- Establish no enforcement mechanism, or penalties for violations, for non-compliance with the law.
- Prohibit the Secretary of Agriculture from labeling as GMOs any food product derived from animals eating GMO feed.
This proposal sells out your right to know what is in your food. Cornucopia is standing with a national coalition of more than 70 groups and businesses opposing this legislation. Please don’t be fooled by some of the largest “organic” corporations and their lobby group, the Organic Trade Association (OTA), which are supporting the compromise that sells out future hope for GMO labeling.
Take action now to let your Senators know you oppose this poorly drafted proposal.