Whether you’re a foodie or just a food lover … Whether your tastes lean towards comfort food or haute cuisine, the POV (Point of View) series invites you to get your pots, pans, televisions, computers and friends ready for the special broadcast of the Academy Award-nominated documentary Food, Inc., on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 at 9 p.m. on PBS, in celebration of Earth Day. (Check local listings.)
Food, Inc. asks: How much do we know about the food we buy at our local supermarkets and serve to our families? Though our food appears the same as ever, it has been radically transformed. Producer-director Robert Kenner and investigative authors Eric Schlosser (Fast Food Nation) and Michael Pollan (The Omnivore’s Dilemma) lift the veil on the U.S. food industry, exposing how our nation’s food supply is now controlled by a handful of corporations. The livelihood of the American farmer and the safety of workers and consumers are potentially at risk. Food, Inc. reveals surprising — and shocking — truths about what we eat, how it’s produced, who we have become as a nation and where we may go from here.
Beyond the national broadcast, the POV website (www.pbs.org/pov/foodinc) will offer viewers many opportunities to learn and participate:
- Invite your family and friends over for a healthy, delicious, affordable and sustainable potluck meal. Then watch Food, Inc. and discuss the many issues it raises. POV will be giving away books, DVDs, sustainable food items and more to potluck hosts and participants.
- Plan your party with POV’s Potluck Party Guide, which features an online invitation, checklists, discussion topics, links, resources and recipes. (See samples below.) http://www.pbs.org/pov/foodinc/party_kit.php
- If you missed the broadcast, watch the film online in its entirety from April 22-29 at http://video.pbs.org.
- Join our Potluck Campaign and you may be selected for a free POV gift basket — Visit the POV website (www.pbs.org/pov/foodinc) from April 22 to May 3 to enter the giveaway. Gifts include autographed copies of Fast Food Nation and The Omnivore’s Dilemma, Food, Inc. DVDs, autographed Food, Inc. movie posters and more. POV will select gift basket recipients the week of May 3 — Check back for details.
- Blog/Tweet/Facebook about your potluck — POV wants to know what you served, who joined in, what you thought of the film and what you talked about. Blog about your potluck and send us a link. Tweet @povdocs to tell us what you ate. Fan POV on Facebook and leave us a comment about your party.
- Calling all bloggers — Food bloggers are joining the Food, Inc. potluck campaign by sharing recipes, reaching out to their readers, hosting potlucks and more. Bloggers, including the cooks behind Food 52, Not Eating Out in New York, Last Night’s Dinner and many more sites, will be encouraging their readers to host potlucks and discuss the issues raised in the film. http://www.pbs.org/pov/foodinc/blogger_info.php
- Take action and take part — The social action network Take Part has partnered with POV to help viewers find out how to support healthy school lunches, and stay up to date on the issue by reading the Hungry for Change Blog.
- 10 Simple Things You Can Do — Take steps to change your diet and change the food system with these tips from the Food, Inc. filmmakers.
- Schools and community groups — Are you interested in hosting a public Food, Inc. screening and/or potluck? It’s simple — Just join the POV community network http://www.amdoc.org/outreach/events/, request Food, Inc. and we’ll lend you a screening kit that includes a DVD.
Source: American Documentary Inc. news release