Help Protect Vermont’s GMO Food Labeling LawJune 13th, 2016
If Not Blocked, Vermont’s Law May Usher in GMO Labeling Nationwide!
Vermont’s landmark GMO food labeling law is scheduled to take effect on July 1. Monsanto and the Big Food opponents of the law are scrambling in the U.S. Senate to come up with a federal law to block or preempt Vermont’s state law. Millions are being spent to keep you uninformed.
Take action to stop Big Ag from preempting the Vermont law. Call (202) 224-3121 to connect to the U.S. Capitol Switchboard. Operators will connect you directly to your Senator’s office. Please tell your Senator that you want them to stand up and protect your right to know what is in your food.
Last March, Senator Stabenow (D-MI) and Senator Roberts (R-KS) offered a preemption bill that was voted down. Stabenow and Roberts (both supported financially by corporate agribusiness and biotechnology interests) are thought to be reworking the legislation. In the first round, eight key senators from the Senate majority opposed that bill, leading to its defeat. We need these senators to again defend our right to know what is in our food. If you live in any of the states represented by these eight, please call them and thank them for the past vote and let them know you want them to keep standing tall for the right of state’s to label GMO foods.
- Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) (202)-224-6665
- Daniel Sullivan (R-AK) (202) 224-3004
- Mitch McConnell (R-KY) (202) 224-2541
- Rand Paul (R-KY) (202) 224-4343
- Susan M. Collins (R-ME) (202) 224-2523
- Angus S. King Jr. (I-ME) (202) 224-5344
- Dean Heller (R-NV) (202) 224-6244
- Mike Lee (R-UT) (202) 224-5444
During election years, officials can be the most responsive to their constituents’ concerns. These additional eight senators are up for election this year. If you live in their state, let them know that you support the right of states to label GMO foods, and want them to support that right as well. Let them also know that you will remember this when voting this fall.
- Michael Bennett (D-CO) – (202) 224-5852
- Mark Kirk (R-IL) – (202) 224-2854
- Kelly Ayotte (R-NH) – (202) 224-3324
- Ron Johnson (R-WI) – (202) 224-5323
- Rob Portman (R-OH) – (202) 224-3353
- Richard Burr (R-NC) – (202) 224-3154
- Chuck Grassley (R-IA) – (202) 224-3744
Other states are looking at what happens in Vermont. Its success will likely spread, and, nationwide, companies are going to reformulate products for everyone, either shunning GMOs or including the proper labeling — but only if Vermont’s law goes into effect and is not blocked by Big Food’s allies in the Senate.