The Cornucopia Institute is seeking a full-time employee to join our team. If you have demonstrated investigative and research skills and are able to identify and follow leads while ferreting out the truth from conflicting narratives in the organic food and farming sector, then we want to hear from you!
We are seeking a new policy team member who possesses superior communication and writing skills. A degree and background in the social sciences or journalism is preferred, along with a history of investigative/research activities for media, academia or civil society organizations. Professional experience in farming, agribusiness or the food industry would be an asset.
A heartfelt passion for protecting the environment, the good food movement, human health, humane livestock husbandry, and social/economic justice for family farmers is essential.
The Cornucopia Institute has become one of the most preeminent and effective public interest groups, focusing on regulatory and market-based implications of agroecology in the United States. We are an organic industry watchdog protecting organics and alternative marketing mechanisms for farmers and consumers. We seek to defend the integrity of the organic food label from governmental regulatory indifference as well as from agribusinesses profiteering from unethical and questionable food and agricultural practices.
Primary responsibilities for this position include:
- Conduct investigations into the organic food supply chain, both foreign and domestic
- Interview key actors in organic commerce, with protecting confidentiality being essential
- Prepare reports and/or white papers detailing investigative findings along with web-based tools and materials assisting both consumers and wholesale buyers
- Write content as necessary for newsletter, website, video and social media and other communications vehicles
- Other related duties as assigned
The ideal candidate would possess the following qualifications and skills:
- Commitment to the mission of The Cornucopia Institute
- Demonstrated investigative ability
- Understanding of (and preferably involvement with) organic food and farming issues
- Self-starter and ability to work independently
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to interact effectively with co-workers, members, and the general public
- Superior work ethic and careful attention to detail
- Ability to work in stressful and reactive environment
- Highest degree of personal and professional ethics
- Competency with the Microsoft Office suite
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a related discipline, or a directly applicable professional resume
Commensurate with experience.
The Cornucopia Institute is formally based in Cornucopia, Wisconsin but is “virtually officed,” and thus has no central location. Staff members telecommute from home offices around the country. Because of this, applicants must be highly motivated and able to work independently. We have nine staff members and additional support from a number of dedicated contractors.
This individual is expected to provide his or her own dedicated worksite. Because of this, work with Cornucopia is possible anywhere in the U.S. Candidates residing in, or relocating to, the Upper Midwest are encouraged to apply — facilitating periodic face-to-face meetings. But ultimate hiring decisions will be made based on the credentials of the candidates and their ability to be successfully self-directed.
Several core-staff and contractors are located in or near Vernon County, Wisconsin (thought to have more organic farmers than any other County in the nation). Candidates open to relocation might find this gorgeous and rugged environment, and its unique agrarian/arts community, with its modest cost of living, a wonderful option.
The Cornucopia Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
How to contact The Cornucopia Institute:
If you have an interest in exploring the opportunity to merge your background and skills with the chance to fight for something you believe in, please forward a letter of inquiry, including salary history/expectations, and resume to [email protected].